HIGH SCHOOLS

Dayton schools’ AD job unfilled

Board rescinds second offer, but another vote is expected next week.

By Marc Pendleton
StaffWriter

trueX:\COX\15\ddn\Manifest_06-15-16_Combined.txt\\192.168.5.222\Olive\E-pub\Daily\Profiles\Dayton Daily\ManifestSetting\ManifestSettings.xml

DAYTON — The Dayton Public Schools board of education has rescinded for a second time an offer to fill the position of athletic director.

Board President Adil Baguirov confirmed after an executive session Tuesday night at the DPS administration building a second offer had been made, then retracted.

He also identified Mark Baker and Torrance Hill as the most prominent finalists for the position. Baker is a Dunbar High School alum who was a high school All-American basketball player and also starred at Ohio State. He previously was the boys head basketball coach at Trot-wood-Madison and then spent three seasons as boys head coach at Middletown, resigning this spring.

Hill is a Central State grad and former women’s basketball coach and assistant AD at Wilberforce. He also was an assistant AD for the Washington, D.C., Public School System and has been the AD at Archbishop Carroll High School in D.C. since 2013.

Baguirov would not identify who was made which offer, nor did he rule out Baker or Hill. He said the board expects to vote on an AD next week.

“We have all the information we need,” Baguirov said. “We have revamped the (hiring) process. We hope to be able to resolve this as soon as possible. It shouldn’t have happened in the first place, but it did. In a way it’s actually better for the district because we know about the problems and we fixed it.”

It was an unusual twist of a normally rigid hiring process Baguirov said was outdated. The first rescinded offer prompted a group of concerned citizens to question the board’s action. That coincided with DPS issuing a statement on Monday night, admitting it had “unfairly administered” interviews following the initial job posting.

The school board indicated it was made aware of an issue after initially offering the job. DPS did not say when each offer

was rescinded, other than “a while ago,” said Baguirov.

The statement read, in part: “In order to protect the integrity of the Board’s equal opportunity hiring practices, the decision was made to rescind the offer and repost the position, ensuring that the hiring process was administered fairly and in accordance with all relevant federal and state standards.”

DPS also said it had made a second offer and that inquiries for the position were closed. The statement did not address rescinding the offer a second time, nor did the board identify who had received the offer and when.

The position opened when longtime AD Jonas Smith submitted his resignation in March. He’s expected to remain on the job until the end of July. It was the second time Smith had resigned in the past year. He also resigned and had been hired as AD at Upper Arlington at this time last year. He cited family reasons for backing out of that job and retaining his position with DPS.

Attempts to contact Smith andBakerwereunsuccessful.

This past spring an internal audit found that at least $14,312 in gate receipts from five DPS home football games at Welcome Stadium was missing. It was determined two unidentified DPS employees were “primarily responsible” for the missing funds. The auditor said the athletic department was “very cooperative.”

Another incident in May involved former Ponitz Career Tech boys track and fieldcoachDonteMurphy.He had been assigned as a classroom aide and coach despite lacking a needed state permit and had a state hearing pending because of a prostitution-related conviction.

He was fired that month and since then school officials confirmed a newer, separate complaint against Murphy was sent to Dayton police and Montgomery County Children Services. Neither the DPS nor the police commented about the complaint.

Contact this reporter at 937-225-2381 or email Marc.

Pendleton@coxinc.com.

Twitter: @MarcPendleton